Good Morning! Today we will continue to work on our Mr. Potato Head practice. You will need at least 10 pieces with shadows &/ highlights shapes. Make sure you are using Layers to your advantage. Use the Direct Selection tool to double click anchor points to correct lines and clean edges. Tomorrow we will post are work to our blogs.
If you are finished with your ten pieces, you either: finish other pieces, finish your line artwork from last week, or create a new document and find an image of your choice to make vector. 🙂
Good Morning! Today we will continue to work on our Mr. Potato Head practice. We will be focused on Shape and Value (highlights and shadow shapes), Pen Tool precision (as limited anchor points as possible), and using Layers efficiently (Ear layer, Ear highlights, Ear shadows, etc.).
Find the JPEG file Titled “Mr. Potato Head” in the folder:
Shared >Students >Fine Art >Pen Practice.
Drag this image to your home folder.
- Open a new Illustrator document.
- File> Place the Mr. Potato image on your Artboard.
- Name this layer reference image and lock it.
- Create a new layer name “Body” and trace the outline of the potato.
- Using the Eyedropper tool, fill this shape you made by clicking the potato color.
- Lock and hide this layer.
- Create a new layer named “Eye and Mustache layer”.
- Trace around the white eye shapes and black mustache shape.
- Use the Eyedropper tool to fill these shapes.
- Lock and hide this layer.
- Create a new layer named “Pupil and mustache highlights”.
- Continue working this way.
If finished with the pen tool exercises 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3, you may start another image of you choice in the pen tool practice folder: Shared > Students> Fine Art > Pen Tool Practice).
- Create new document.
- File > Place the image of you choice
- Resize holding down shift.
- Resize Art Board using art board tool if needed.
- Lock your photo layer.
- Create new layer and start tracing lines as accurately as you can.
Today we will continue the Pen Tool exercises. You can find these in the folder: Shared > Students > Fine Art > Pen Tool Practice. We will work on exercises 5.1, 5.2, 5.3. Remember: Complete each exercise 2-3 times (on separate layers) until you have mastered it. Tips: Press “P” to deselect, Edit > Undo if you made a mistake, and Ctrl + to zoom in and Ctrl – to zoom out.
Pen tool tutorials: http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1652772&seqNum=3.You can also watch Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2videos found in the Shared > Students > Fine Art > Pen Tool Practice folders.
Complete these steps when starting the exercises:
- Set Fill to None.
2. Select a Stroke color
3. Set your Stroke Weight to 3 pt.
4. Click the Layer icon on the bottom right panel
5. Click Add New Layer icon
6. Name the new Layer “Practice 1 or 2”
7. Click the Eye icon to hide “Work on this Layer” and make sure the top layer is highlighted before you start working.
Please Remember: these are graded so save to your Home Folder > Graphic Design.